Project 1


 27 Aug 2020 - 24 Sept 2020(week 01-week 05)
Soo Wen Yi (0334653)
Motion Graphics and Compositing _



LECTURES_

Lecture 01 _
27 Aug 2020(week 01)
Today is the first day of class, we are briefed by Mr Fauzi regarding our module and also introduced us to constructive workflow. We have to understand the questions, construct a strategic plan, fill in the blank, get ideas and inspirations and set a perimeter. It is the way we think to make us more productive. Critical thinking skills are important too. 

Lecture 02 _
10 Sept 2020(week 03)
We had a recap for week 2 which was the introduction to motion graphics. Motion graphics is animation, moving graphics. Text/typography is a major component in motion graphic. It communicate to viewers like infographics. Composition is key and it can be done on photoshop or illustrator. Composition is the arrangement, there is 6 elements of composition. Unity - creates harmony, Balance - symmetry=calm/asymmetry=dynamic, Movement - arrangement of objects/position of figure, Rhythm - like music, Focus - the focal point, Contrast - light/dark, strong difference. Mr Fauzi also reminded us to organise our folders in our laptop to optimise the way we work.

Lecture 03 _
15 Sept 2020(week 04)
We learnt about kinetic typography today. Kinetic typography is telling story by moving typography. There is 2 main types of kinetic typography, motion typography and fluid typography. Motion typography is when typographic elements move relative to each other without any transformation to new elements. Fluid typography makes typography that transforms into non-typographic forms like shapes or into another word. Here are some patterns: create/destroy, enter/exit, morphing, inventive metaphors, arc/path motion, storytelling and signaling motion. Here are the principles of kinetic typography: maintain relativity, optimize for readability, optimize effect duration, manage emotion, maintain linearity, motion sensitivity, optimize for accessibility, bandwidth constraints and fallback states. 


INSTRUCTIONS_




PROJECT 1_

Week 03
10 Sept 2020
We are given a template of basic principles of form and design where 4 of them are given and we need to do the rest of the principles. The given principles are movement, hierarchy, balance and direction. The 4 that we need to do are symmetry, focus, scale and rhythm. Here is part 1 of the project.

 

Week 04
17 Sept 2020
Here is the part 2 of the project of compositing without music.


Week 05
24 Sept 2020
After getting feedback, I looked for a suitable music to add to my composition and I found one that matches quite well with what I did without needing major changes so I decided to use that.

Serenity by Prod. Riddiman

  Here is the final composition with music.


 

FEEDBACK_

Week 04
17 Sept 2020
The motions are nice, refine the positions and key frames before remixing.

Week 05
24 Sept 2020
Transitions are smoother near the end compared to start, there's some struggle in composition at the start. Redo the remix composition with music and resubmit.

REFLECTION_

EXPERIENCES
Week 01
I am excited to start this module as I see motion graphic pretty much everywhere and I'm interested to learn some techniques and improve on my skills in after effects.

Week 03
I had fun creating the 4 motion principles with no issues but I had to watch some after effects videos to refresh my knowledge on after effects since I have not used it for months.

Week 04
I liked the end part of the remix better as they transitioned a lot better than the beginning part which I struggled to figure out how to make then transition better.
 
Week 05
I did not need to fix the remix as much as the music that I found really suited what I already have, and I'm happy with how it came out.
OBSERVATIONS
Week 01
I was the only person in the in person class along with Mr Fauzi, seems like not everyone is keen on coming to campus especially with the option to attend online. 
Week 03
I was not struggling and actually enjoyed creating the motions.
Week 04
I forgot that we needed to animated the compilation/remix with music.
Week 05
When I was searching for the music, I kept my remix in mind so that I choose a suitable music that will go well with the remix that I have.
 
FINDINGS
Week 01
I think this module is going to be fun and chill, not as taxing as other modules. This makes me look forward to the assignments.

Week 03
I really have forgotten how to use after effects after not using it for so long, so I found myself looking at tutorials to refresh my knowledge.

Week 04
I was aware that the transitions are not as smooth because there was no music, hopefully it will be fixed once I found a suitable music to go with the remix.
 
Week 05
As expected, the remix with music game me a clearer direction as to how I should remix the first half according to the beat.
 


Comments

Popular Posts