Project 2


12 June 2019 - 25 June 2019(week 11 - week 13)
Soo Wen Yi (0334653)
Design Principles _ Project 2



INSTRUCTIONS_




PROJECT 2_

Week 11
For this project we have to choose a place and express the location with any medium or format. I want to use both digital editing and traditional media right from the start. I chose the drawing room as I used that studio for the whole year of my foundation course, there was a lot of good and bad memories in that studio. These are the photos I took of the studio.

door into the studio

inside of the studio when the lights are off in the morning


I chose to take them at night because I use to stay back to work on my assignments on the days we have class in that studio before the studio closes. We even booked the studio during some of the weekends just so we can work on our figure drawing assignments. This studio has a lot of interesting things, everywhere you look you see something different; its not just a blank wall or shelf. 

I started with digital collage with some of the photos.

digital collage

In order to make them more harmonious in terms of the colours, I did a primary colour layer and put it as an overlay on top of the collage. The other reason that I used primary colours is that in terms of how colours represent/convey different emotions, the signify the basic 3 emotions, anger/frustration, joy/happiness, sadness/disappointment. These are what I have felt through out my foundation year while working on assignments in that studio.

the primary colour overlay

digital collage with primary colours overlay

How I originally wanted it to look like

But after a bit of thinking, I removed the top background and lights just so when I do the traditional medium part it won't look too confusing and messy. After printing the digital collage out, I thought of drawing repeated basic shapes (circle, square and triangle) and creating a pattern with that. The reason I choose the basic shapes is that those are what we learnt in fundamental drawing. I used red to tie in the coloured overlay from the digital collage. In the end I chose to just draw (with red gel pen) the shapes and fill it in with diagonal lines. 

experimenting with only red or red and orange, also cross hatching to fill in or just diagonal lines.

Moving on, to make the overall feeling of the art piece to be more exciting, I added acrylic paints on the printed digital collage. This effect also gives it an "aged"/ rougher look since I associate this place with my past memories and experiences. I used a little bit of white acrylic paint on the back of a palette knife and lightly dragged it across the paper.


This was a test piece where I tried to see how much pressure I should push down while dragging the palette knife to get the effect that I wanted.

Improved version progress to the final piece

Next up after I stuck the printed collage to the patterned background, I needed to do the signs (room number and wall sign). At first I thought of just printing it and stick it on with foam tape so theres some pop up element. But it wouldn't make it stand out that much anyway, so I just took some watercolour paper and tore them with a ruler so i get the rougher edge which is a contrast to the straight edges on the printed collage cut out. 


Then I just painted it with watercolour to get the colour to match the coloured overlay and wrote the details with a marker. Since I didn't print it, its not as flat/it has some characteristic since it gives off a much carefree feeling which also relate to the feeling I felt while I was in the studio. 


And here is the final outcome. There was pattern, lines, perspective scale, alignment, harmony, contrast, texture, asymmetry, balance used in this mixed media piece. I think that it has successfully conveyed the message that the space/place is an exciting place to be in.

final outcome
Here are some close up shots from the final piece.










Comments

Popular Posts