Exercises


 
24 Aug 2020 - 26 Sept 2020 (week 01-week 06)
Soo Wen Yi (0334653)
Advance Animation _


LECTURES_
Lecture 01 _
24 August 2020 (week 01)
We are briefed by Mr Kannan about this module first. This module is more technical, although we will not go into that much of rigging but animating the rig instead. We are focusing on the animation production. Then we move onto getting introduced to animating in Maya and the interface. We are also reminded of the 12 principles of animation which we need to keep in mind all times.



INSTRUCTIONS_




EXERCISES_

Week 01
24 Aug 2020
Here's some bouncing balls I tried to do in maya. I did a bowling ball and tested with basketball.

Fig. 1.1: bowling ball drop in graph editor

Fig. 1.2: basketball drop in graph editor


Here's the bowling ball drop in place.



Here's the basketball without stretch and squash.



Here's the basketball with squash and stretch applied. 


And here's the basketball bouncing.



Week 02
31 August 2020
Today is national day so we had a replacement class with tutorial videos on the different graphs in graph editor.


Fig. 1.3: each different colour ball are set with different graph styles.


I then tested out playing around with a rigged model which is a flour sack by Joe Daniels.

Fig. 2.1: Flour Sack rigged model by Hoe Daniels 
 

It is pretty bad as I have no clear direction on what I'm doing with the poses but I just wanted to test out how a rigged model work.

Week 03
7 Sept 2020
We are to animate the sack of flour for this week's exercise. I did one with just a static camera and one with the camera animated. I think there is a lot of things that can be improved in the animation, I am just not used to animating with the rigs yet.

Animation without camera movement.


Animation with camera movement.


Here's the revised version of the flour sack exercise after getting feedback.

Animation without camera movement.


Animation with camera movement.

Week 04
14 Sept 2020
For this week we are to do a walk cycle with the ultimate beefy rig. Here is a progress working toward the first pass of the walk cycle. 



Some part of the body moves really awkwardly, I took a look at the graph editor and found that it was a mess and some parts have extra key frames that are not needed so I cleaned up the graph.

Fig. 3.1: screen shot of graph

 Here is the cleaned up first pass of the character walk cycle in 3/4 view.




First pass of character walk cycle front view.

First pass of character walk cycle side view.
 


Week 05
21 Sept 2020
After getting feedback on the walk cycle, here is the revised character walk cycle.

Second pass character walk cycle 3/4 view.


Second pass character walk cycle front view.


Second pass character walk cycle side view. 


Week 06
28 Sept 2020
Today we learnt parenting objects. For this exercise, we have to make a pushing boulder animation. This is what I did in class while playing with the controls.

This is a 1st pass of the boulder push animation.


This is the 2nd pass of the boulder push animation.




FEEDBACK_


Week 04
14 Sept 2020
Basketball (moving to right) is too fast, the bounce at the end its too short and it should go further at the end/stops a bit too suddenly. Basketball (straight down) ending is also a bit too fast, the speed at the end needs to ease off, following the gravity. For bowling ball, the weight shift is too fast. For now it is ok, the motion is there just needs tweaking. For the sack of flour, the walking at the beginning is too fast so have to slow it down. Make the anticipation before the jump a bit more curious. Slow down the motion before jumping and can change the landing to face palm if I want to. For the camera movements, the framing of the camera left the right side too empty at times so have to be careful.


Week 05
21 Sept 2020
Walk cycle feedback: the key poses is there, line of action and gesture line needs to be altered. The feet/legs are fine, need to make adjustments to the torso. The head doesn't move with the chest (look forward, not moving side to side with the chest). Only slight turns, or else it will make the character look unstable. The arms should move in a curve, rotate inwards a bit.
 
Week 06
28 Sept 2020
 
Walk cycle feedback: the arms should have follow through and off set it. Overall its better and improved from the first pass.

Week 07
5 Oct 2020
Feedback on boulder: there are some stiff movements, motion wise the arms should go from low to high then push by rotating the elbow. The falling is f
 

REFLECTION_

EXPERIENCES
Week 01
It was an interesting experience as I was the only person in physical class along with Mr Kannan while my classmates are online XD. I'm looking forward to learning 3D animation and I hope I can do well in this module.

Week 02
I don't have much to say for this week but I learned a bit more about the different graph editors even though I used one of them for exercise 1.

Week 03
It was fun looking at the animation coming to live, I'm still not use to looking at the model from different views while animating which will contribute to the outcome of the animation.
Week 04
I watched some videos on animating in maya before I began so that I can get more information on the process and it definitely helped when I started animating. I also understand the rig better now and how the keyframes work for the individual parts compared to last week.

Week 05
My motivation so far has been really bad, I have no idea why but I do need to step up and get back into working more on my assignments.

OBSERVATIONS
Week 01
I'm still not getting myself to the upmost motivation yet which is unusual because at the beginning of every semester is when I am most motivated.

Week 02
I do miss in person classes and I hope I can attend more in person classes soon in this semester. But so far I have not run into problems while animating the balls in maya.

Week 03
The master control of the sack of flour is parallel to the floor while its flipping, which I did not realise when I was animating. 
 
Week 04
I took some time trying to animate the walk cycle and it did not come out that good.

Week 05
My classmates are pretty good with 3D animation and I see that I'm not doing as well but I hope I can improve and do better through this module.
FINDINGS
Week 01
I think I'm a little demotivated was because I have a side project ongoing during the end of semester break and also carried into this week I've been very tired and not getting enough rest. I should rest and manage my time better for the coming weeks so I don't get left behind. 

Week 02
3D animation is an interesting process compared to what I've done for last semester which is 2D animation. I am open to explore more into 3D animation to find out if I like to pursue this field.

Week 03
I realised that I did not turn with the master control after class so I have to keep in mind to move the master control first before anything. 

Week 04
I realised that cleaning up the graph is important as you never know if there's extra key frames that would make the motion look weird. 
 
Week 05
The cleaning up and redoing some parts of the animation according to the feedback was easier this time compared to when I had to fix the sack of flour. I hope the second pass of walk cycle is better than the first.



Comments

Popular Posts