Project 1


13 April 2020 - 24 May 2020 (week 01- week 06)
Soo Wen Yi (0334653)
Film Studies and Cinematography _


INSTRUCTIONS_





PROJECT 1_

Week 01
14 April 2020
We were asked to vocally record a memory that is vivid to us. But after the feedback that I had, I explained that it was better for me to explain it in written form so I did.

Week 02
20 April 2020
We are to express the memory by words and also express the emotion by lines and shapes.



Week 03
28 April 2020
We did an in class exercise based on our main character. 


 
We then are asked to write the story spine of our story and do 3 sketches as a reference. Before this task I had have a consultation with Mr Martin to clarify and finalise my story since there was some confusion surrounding it.




Week 04
5 May 2020
3 act structure.




Week 05
13 May 2020
Fixed the story.

Week 06
24 May 2020
 After many weeks of changes to the story, here is the final project 1 compilation.





FEEDBACK_

Week 01
13 April 2020
no feedback

Week 02
20 April 2020
The verbal memory wasn't precise enough.

21 April 2020
The memory is a bit confusing and I just jumped into the conclusion of the story that I want to make. Mr Martin said that he felt like the person is trying to escape, but he doesn't know how the negative thoughts would effect the cause to escape (there was no backstory to why). He allowed me to write the memory instead, so he said to not force it into a story structure.

23 April 2020
Feedback for memory. Most of the events explained are not going to be in the final story. Would the character look different from to end, and would the world be different, also if the negative thought are going to be present, we have to know what the thoughts are. 

Week 03
28 April 2020
General feedback. Even though the story is from our memory, this is a fiction, we need to introduce new events and modify the "memory".

29 April 2020
The what if scenario didn't reveal who she is, how will we visually express overthinking. Make the main character an only child, make the mom's friend the stepfather. Currently its drive by art direction.

Week 04
28 April 2020
Story spine: push the what if scenario to the next scene, have the main character packing important things. Props are important, to get to know the character. If she just hides in her imagination, there's no story, we need to know what is she hiding from. 

Week 05
13 May 2020
3 act structure: difficult to understand the story, fantasy scene has to happen twice. In act 1, show that the main character tends to escape into her imagination. Climax scene in terms of emotions, for main character and mother its at a low point, climax is high but its low for them its a contrast. Before climax, main character and mother needs to have alone time a happy moment before its ruined.

Week 06
19 May 2020
2 approaches, snippets of words or with dialogue. Change the title, its bad now look at music titles that I listen to, don't have to directly relate to the story, but hint it. Evil face has to be introduced in act 2 like a light shadow, slowly becomes more prominent in the climax.



REFLECTION_

EXPERIENCES
Week 02
I see that I'm struggling to come up with the story correctly. 

Week 03
I got a bit emotional and stepped away from my laptop during class to cool down because I feel like I'm doing everything wrong and I just can't get it right.
Week 04
At this point I feel like I just can't write at all and I don't have the imagination to think of things to drive my story.
Week 05
It's a bit frustrating seeing my classmates with their completed story, while I feel like I'm falling very behind and struggling to write compared to them.

Week 06
Finally the story is set and finished, I am happy at how it came out after all these weeks of tweaking and concerns.
OBSERVATIONS
Week 02
I wrote it more abstractly like how I picture it would look like.

Week 03
I am very hard on myself and I don't have the imagination to write.
Week 04
I got to hear about my classmates story and each have different stories and themes.
Week 05
I kind of see so far that they story has changed path from my initial idea, but I didn't realise that because I couldn't think properly to see that.

Week 06
The story is fixed by Mr Martin and it has elements from the initial idea.
FINDINGS
Week 02
It was a struggle because I pictured it as a snippet of the story in a very abstract manner, and I wrote it imagine the main character going through the scene. But I get why that is a problem because I know there's nothing that is described that would support the metaphors.

Week 03
I was pretty disappointment in myself on why I can't get the story right.
Week 04
It was interesting to see how other's most memorable memory turn into a story.
Week 05
My friends helped me to suggest the story because I was really stuck and I'm thankful for their help even though they're not from this class.

Week 06
By the end of this project, I realised I'm quite bad at writing a good story and that made me struggled through this project.
 




Comments

Popular Posts