Exercises


 
13 April 2020 - 27 April 2020 (week 01- week 03)
Soo Wen Yi (0334653)
Film Studies and Cinematography _


LECTURES_
Lecture 01 _
13 April 2020 (week 01)
We started with Mr Martin briefing the projects and how they are all related to the final project that we need to produce. Moving onto the lecture, we talked about theme. We watched a short film titled "The Song For Rain" by Yawen Zheng.


Fig. 1.1: The Song For Rain by Yawen Zheng

We were told to look for the theme, and it is clearly shown in the short film that the theme is around friendship. Friendship between the boy and the fox, and the art style fits the theme. Some additional points I picked up are the dull colours, emptiness, change in music and the characters are usually small in scale compared to the surrounding. The tunnel was bright the first time compared to the second time. It was filled with warm colours when needed and I sense innocence in there too. 

We tried to see if other art styles would suit this story line, and it doesn't work. From this I get that character design/style has an impact on the theme. For example we can't use this story line with Love, Death and Robots' "Sonnie's Edge" art style, it just wouldn't convey the theme. (I've watched Love, Death and Robots, and I love each and every episodes!!)

Some of the classic movie themes include:
  • human vs tech
  • sacrifice
  • good vs evil
  • coming of age
  • justice
Lecture 02 _
14 April 2020 (week 01)
Today we recapped on the projects and discuss about ideation. We watched a video on animators discussing where ideas come from. A point that I wrote down is that ideas come from experiences, all story is different because of our experiences/memories. And the idea might be raw/rough at the start, but that is fine because we get to know the emotion behind it.

Lecture 03 _
20 April 2020 (week 02)
We did a recap on last week's lecture (theme), theme reflects human condition, it gives a direction for the story. Image has 2 meaning, first is visual elements, things we can see, second is idea in mind, formed in our mind. Mr Martin mentioned that it might be hard to find the theme of our story at this stage but its fine. We watched a video on the topic "What if", it is a way to develop a story. This is drive by imagination, and questions that unlock the imagination and wonder. We also touched on character development, a fully developed character allows us to imagine what the character will do in a situation.



INSTRUCTIONS_





EXERCISES_

Week 01
13 April 2020
Exercise 1
We had to look at Hayao Miyazaki films and answer these 2 questions:

1. What are Miyazaki's 3 recurring themes?
2. Pick a Miyazaki film and analyse the story's theme and how the protagonist's journey is told in relation to the theme.


here is my exercise 1 and I choose to analyse "Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind"




Week 02
20 April 2020
Exercise 2
these are the questions we have to answer for this exercise.

What if:
2A: Reframe your selected Miyazaki’s film in “What if” statement.
Character:
Internal vs. external features:
1. Identify 3 internal and external features of yourself.
2. Identify 3 internal and external features of Mr. Martin

2B: Identify 3 of their external features.
2C: Identify 3 of their internal features.
2D. How would the main character responds if trapped in an elevator?
2E. Draw or write a single page about what happens.


Here is my exercise 2.



Week 03
27 April 2020
Discussion on the anthology "Love Death + Robots". 

Here are the questions:
1.Which story is your favourite? What is the theme about?
2.Which character you like the most?
3.From art direction point of view, which of them impressed you the most, why?






FEEDBACK_

Week 01
13 April 2020
no feedback

Week 02
20 April 2020
no feedback for exercise

Week 03
27 April 2020
no feedback for exercise

REFLECTION_

EXPERIENCES
Week 01
Coming into this semester having to move everything online isn't fun when I like to physically to be in the class. But its what we have to do so I hope I can manage my time and keep up my motivation through out this semester. Having this module as the first class or the semester is quite fun, I'm excited for the projects and to see everyone's ideas.

Week 02
Still getting use to the workflow of having online classes, but so far its ok. I liked analysing and researching the Miyazaki film as I really like the story.
OBSERVATIONS
Week 01
It was a bit hard to focus on the class when I don't have a dedicated space on my own since I'm not in my dorm, so when children starts talking loudly while walking pass its distracting.

Week 02
It is still the start of the semester so the motivation level is still high during this week.
FINDINGS
Week 01
I completed the exercises pretty quickly as I was interested in the topic so my motivation is high.

Week 02
I am keeping up with the work and the blog so hopefully I won't be left behind later on in the semester.
 




Comments

Popular Posts