Exercises and Projects


 
14 April 2020 - 21 July 2020 (week 01- week 15)
Soo Wen Yi (0334653)
Animation Fundamentals _


LECTURES_
Lecture 01_
17 April 2020 (week 01)
We learnt about the 12 principles of animation today by watching 2 videos provided by Mr Faizal. We are to develop an earlier knowledge and understanding in how animation works. This is because it will be hard to develop the way of working without understanding of the core principle. An advice from Mr Faizal is to learn something you can gain, watch something you can gain. We are to keep in mind the 12 principles of animation while watching animations. 

Lecture 02_ 
21 April 2020 (week 02)
Video lecture on model sheets which is to make sure the basic proportion is consistent, and also for comparing height differences for multiple characters. Head sheets are usually consist of expressions and angles on the head of a character, same goes for pose sheets which has different poses of a character. 

Lecture 03_
24 April 2020 (week 02)
We are introduced to Adobe Flash and the ways of creating within it, my first impression is that its very similar to illustrator with a touch of photoshop. And important point made by Mr Faizal is that every detail we have on the character, we are responsible to animate them. Because of this, it is often best to simplify the details.




INSTRUCTIONS_





EXERCISES & PROJECTS_

Week 01
14 April 2020
Exercise 1
We were required to make 6 characters based on basic shapes, we can use Photoshop and a tip from Mr Faizal is to simplify and stylise the characters.

 
Fig. 1.1: sketch of my 6 characters based on basic shapes

 
Fig. 1.2: my 6 characters based on basic shapes

17 April 2020 
Exercise 2
We are to report on our understanding of the 12 principles of animation in one page. Here is mine. 




Week 02
21 April 2020
Exercise 3
We watched the videos provided by Mr Faizal on creating character model sheets. And we are to choose 1 character that we did last week to make a model sheet. 


Fig. 2.1: character model sheet sketch

Fig. 2.2: character model sheet final

24 April 2020
Exercise 4
We are to create at least 6 designs using Adobe Animate from a character that we did in previous week.


Fig. 3.1: sphere character designs

Fig. 3.2: cone character designs

Week 03
28 April 2020
Exercise 4
We are to create a character turn around in Adobe Animate.


Fig. 4.1: character turn around flat colour and shaded

Fig. 4.2: character turn around gif

1 May 2020
No class due to public holiday

Week 04
5 May 2020
Exercise 5
We had to do 2 exercises this week first is to make 2 backgrounds for our character, and second is to make 3 bouncing balls animations, and all should be made in Adobe Animate. I started with sketching on paper because that was the most comfortable way for me, then I move to Photoshop to sketch a cleaner version.


Fig. 5.1: sketches of choices


Fig. 5.2: background 1 sketch

Fig. 5.3: background 2 sketch

Here are the final backgrounds.


Fig. 5.4: background 1 final

Fig. 5.5: background 2 final

Here are the bouncing balls exercise.


Fig. 5.6: bouncing ball 1 rough sketch of timing

Fig. 5.7: bouncing ball 1

Fig. 5.8: bouncing ball rough sketch of timing

Fig. 5.9: bouncing ball 2

Fig. 5.10: bouncing ball 3 rough sketch of timing

Fig. 5.11: bouncing ball 3


8 May 2020
Exercise 5 continue
Then I found out that I actually did the bouncing ball in advance -.-; Mr Faizal told me instead, to start to work on animating 1 second of motion for my character. And also add the character inside the background, while also come out with a few expression for the character. I did the character motion first.

Fig. 5.12: character motion draft

Fig. 5.13: character motion


Week 05
12 May 2020
Exercise 6
We are to do a walk and run cycle in 3/4 view.


Fig. 5.14: walk cycle
Fig. 5.15: run cycle

Then I redid my backgrounds and added my character into it.


Fig. 5.16: background 1 updated

Fig. 5.17: background 2 updated

Here are some extra expression of the character done in photoshop.


Fig. 5.18: extra expressions

Week 06
19 May 2020
Improve the walk and run cycle, apply the run cycle into a background.


Fig. 6.1: updated run cycle with new legs

Fig. 6.2: run cycle with background
Fig. 6.3: updated walk cycle with new legs

Week 07
29 May 2020
Project 1
We have to plan for a 5 seconds animation of our character doing an action. I did 2 storyboard first before choosing to do idea 2 and doing the animatic.


Fig. 7.1: idea 1

Fig. 7.2: idea 2

Fig. 7.3: animatic 1st pass


Week 08
5 June 2020
After receiving feedback from Mr Faizal and my classmates I did another animatics so here is the improved version.


Fig. 7.4: animatic improved

Here is the 1st draft of the final animation with background.


Fig. 7.5: 1st draft of animation


Week 09
9 June 2020
After getting feedback from Mr Faizal again, I fixed and improved the animation so here is the final 5 seconds of character action animation. I think the animation looks a bit odd because the shocking reaction from the character is shown a bit too early.

 
Fig. 7.6: final 5 seconds animation

12 June 2020
Later in the week we learned how to do lip sync and are given with 3 audios to do lip syncs to. Also got to do a robot character turn around drawing in Adobe Animate.


Fig. 8.1: robot character sketch

Fig. 8.2: robot character

Lip sync 1 draft 1



Lip sync 2 draft 1


Lip sync 3 draft 1


Week 10
16 June 2020
After getting feedback from Mr Faizal, we are asked to act out the actions ourselves and use that as a reference to animate the actions in the lip sync.


Lip sync 1 draft 2


Lip sync 2 draft 2


Lip sync 3 draft 2



19 June 2020
After getting feedback and tweaked things, here are the final lip sync animations.


Lip sync 1 final


Lip sync 2 final


Lip sync 3 final


And here is a compilation of the lip syncs with my action. 






Week 11
26 June 2020
Final project
We are to do a 15 seconds animation based around our current situation with MCO during Covid-19, it can be anything that relates to that topic. Here is my concept with storyboard as I was experiencing headaches and my eyes are really strained and painful on some days during this semester being in front of the laptop everyday for long hours.


Fig. 9.1: idea

Week 12
3 July 2020
I only managed to finish 7 seconds of very rough animatic for check in this week.


Fig. 9.2: rough unfinished animatic


Week 13
10 July 2020
This week I roughly finished the animatic but some of the actions are not up to what I was imagining so I'll fix it for the final animatic.




Week 14
14 July 2020
By this week I finalised the animatic and also finished the background that I want to use.


Fig. 9.3: background to be used




Week 15
21 July 2020
Here is the final 15 seconds animation, I went over the time a bit and the final duration of the animation being 16 seconds long.





REFLECTION_

EXPERIENCES
Week 01
The classes were relaxed which I appreciate, not much to say but I am excited and looking forward to the projects.

Week 02
I liked working on my chosen character model sheet and trying to think of how I can make expression on a single, vertical eye. And I think I did a good job trying to figure that out.

Week 03
Creating the coloured and shaded turn around, then to turn it into gif was fun to see the process come to life. 

Week 04
I accidentally do balls exercise and should've asked before I did it. Using Adobe Animate to do the background isn't really something I like, its really flat and I didn't like it. 
Week 05
When I found out we could do the background in photoshop and import it into animate, I was very happy because I didn't like the flatness of the backgrounds I did.

Week 06
The walk and run cycle is really hard for me to do, I don't know why it just doesn't look right every time I redo it.

Project 1
I knew that in order to fulfill the principles of animation is to make my character to have more dynamic shape changes so I applied exaggeration to my character.

For the lip syncs at first I thought it just needed to be focused on the mouth movement but after having to film myself for reference it definitely is easier to see and draw the actions.

Final Project
This is actually my first time drawing a frame by frame animation for 15 seconds, there was no problem of making it until 15 mins and not making it too short or too long. But through out the project it made me realised that it takes quite awhile to animate 15 seconds frame by frame.
OBSERVATIONS
Week 01
Before class started, we are introduced to Mr Faizal which was nice as we have never met him before and during this period having online classes didn't help with getting know our lecturer in person. But after having classes with him, I am really grateful that he wants to help us improve on our weaknesses and taking his time to get to know our skills.

Week 02
While working on the design exploration on Adobe Animate, at the start it was kind of confusing because its vector based, colouring in the characters works differently compared to photoshop. And there is only 1 standard hard brush that I can work with is pretty different for my work flow because I like to draw with brushes that look more like pencils.

Week 03
I got used to working on Adobe Animate by this week compared to the previous week. 

Week 04
I don't like the backgrounds I made because I don't work with just flat colours and harsh shading. I usually prefer to work with blending and textured.
Week 05
I like my character design and I didn't want to change it.

Week 06
A lot of us are struggling with the walk and run cycle also.

Project 1
I see that references are very useful for understanding the actions that I want to animation, if I don't understand the movements and actions it will be hard to animate.

Final Project
For this project getting the idea wasn't hard as it is our daily life right now in this situation, so the project went through smoothly
FINDINGS
Week 01
Mr Faizal is extremely understanding and again I am really grateful that he wants to help us, because of this I finish my exercises as soon as I can so that I can submit what i required along with the exercises in order for him to get to know what my skills are and what I'm interested in.

Week 02
I could have pushed more on exploring the designs of the characters but time limit was a factor because I was also worrying about other assignments. 

Week 03
Similar to last week's problem, I wanted to create another turn around with an expression change in the front view just to explore the possibility but time is not forgiving. 

Week 04
I would better off asking the lecturer before I do things because I was panicking that they're due but there was no clear instruction.
Week 05
I feel like changing the character design would loose the block-y feel of the character as seen when I explore the colours and design of the character in a previous week.

Week 06
I have to redo the walk cycle a lot of times for me to get it look decent.

Project 1
for the 5 seconds animation, looking at the final product, I can notice that there are things that I can change to make the animation better.

Final Project
I am quite happy with the final product, but again looking at it completed I know that there are things that I can do to better improve the animation like making the legs struggle when the hand is being pulled to push the exaggeration of the force.


Comments

Popular Posts